Monday, February 16, 2009

Back to Slogging

I'm still reading...don't give up on me! I started American Project by Sudhir Venkatesh a while ago. It's a history and sociological study of Chicago's Robert Taylor Homes housing development. From what I've read of Venkatesh in Freaknomics and on the Freakonomics blog, he's a very good writer. However, I don't think he was that good of a writer when he published this book in 2000. It just doesn't even seem like his style...it's just not that engaging. I'm glad to see he's grown as a writer though.

So since that was slow going, I figured that since I liked A.J. Jacobs' biblical living book, I started his book on reading the Encyclopaedia Brittanica from A-Z. So far, I'm not disappointed. I'm trying to read both right now, but Jacobs is winning since he's a really funny guy (and it's an easier read).

No comments: