Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Eight Books I Didn't Get To

Well, I knocked off 29 of the 37. Not bad. Not what I was hoping for, but not bad. I didn't get to the following books:

1. The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow
2. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
3. Don Quixote by Cervantes
4. The Age of Jackson by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
5. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
6. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
7. Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman
8. Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson

I'll probably get around to Bellow, Dumas, and McPherson eventually. It seems like I've been meaning to read Schlesinger for over a decade, so I think he's done for.

Other books I read when I should have been reading books on the list:

1. Quirkology by Richard Wiseman
2. I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert
3. Kill Your Idols by Jim DeRogatis, ed.
4. I Have Fun Everywhere I Go by Mike Edison
5. The Space Merchants by Frederick Pohl and C.M. Kornbluth
6. Generation Kill by Evan Wright
7. When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
8. The Librarian by Larry Beinhart

So 37 books so far this year. Way behind last year's total of 53, but a good deal ahead of 2006's shameful 33 and right on par with 2005's 37.

No comments: