Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wow, way behind

I've finished two books that I just haven't had the time to write up.

The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell. Entertaining and educational, but not nearly as good as her other books. It pains me to say that because I'm a huge Sarah Vowell fan.

Ireland: A Short History by Joe Coohill. A wonderful little history by my dear friend Joe. He does a really good job of describing the nuances among and between the competing groups in Irish history. It's not as clear-cut as the Catholic-Protestant divide. Really amazing how he can be so deft at describing these differences in historical context while under a pretty severe limit to keep it a "short" history.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I like Sarah Vowell, too, but I think I almost prefer to see her speak than to read her books! I like her sense of humor...