Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

I Was Told There'd Be Cake is another in what's rapidly appearing to be my favorite genre: humorous and poignant confessional essays. Like the blurb on the book cover says, she reminds me a bit of David Sedaris and Sara Vowell. A little Augusten Burroughs thrown in too.

Crosley recounts such stories as ShitterGate (when she finds a small turd on her bathroom floor after a dinner party and then how she how she slyly tries to find out whodunit) and the trials and tribulations of being a bridesmaid for a high school friend she hasn't seen in years. In short, she writes about situations unique to her that we could all envision ourselves getting into.

Where I give Crosley great credit is her use of metaphor to comic effect. I found myself laughing out loud at some of her comparisons. Here's the best sentence I've read in a long time: "My Australian dreams had disappeared into the night like a baby in a dingo's jaw." Many other great lines in this book.

Funny. Thought-provoking. Quality. Great for summer reading. Go read it now.

No comments: