Monday, September 8, 2008

What's Left on the List

1. The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow
2. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (currently reading)
3. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
4. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
5. Don Quixote by Cervantes
6. The Age of Jackson by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
7. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
8. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
9. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
10. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
11. Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman
12. Rabbit, Run by John Updike
13. A Book to be Named Later by an Author to Be Named Later

I'm pretty sure I'm going to eliminate the Neil Postman book. I'm also pretty sure that I'm going to add Barbara Tuchmans The Guns of August to the list. I tried to read it a few years ago and it didn't take, but as it's considered such a wonderful work and as I consider WWI to be fundamental to understanding the 20th C., I think I need to give it another shot.

I need to finish this list up. My "to be read" list of books in LibraryThing has cracked 100!

No comments: