Monday, July 14, 2008

A Slow-Down

Well, I came down with the summer cold from hell, so I wasn't much up for reading. More in the mood for bad TV and NyQuil. I find it really hard to read when I'm hopped up on NyQuil.

In the meantime, I'm a little bit more than half-way through Norman Mailer's 700-plus page The Naked and the Dead. But I got distracted from that because I was able to get David Sedaris's new book When You Are Engulfed in Flames from the library and thus, had to put aside everything, including the NyQuil bottle, to read.

So anyway, that's why there hasn't been much in the way of posting recently. I'm hoping to have the Mailer book finished by early next week. It's really good, so I don't think it should be a problem (but it is long). Perhaps I should have set a page count goal rather than a monograph goal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Russ,
I hope you're feeling better soon!

Forget Mailer---How did you like the new Sedaris book? I loved it.

LibrarianGuy said...

The Sedaris book was, of course, great. He's got a way of taking those little things about life and blowing them up into their illogical conclusions. And some of his other essays are so sad and poignant. I've known far too many angry, lonely old women like his neighbor Helen. It's really sad. But then you have stuff like his obsession with spiders and putting album covers in the windows to keep the birds away are just hysterically funny. So yeah, I really enjoyed it, I read it too fast though and didn't savor it like I'd have liked too.

And for my money "You Can't Kill the Rooster" from Me Talk Pretty One Day is the funniest few pages ever written in English.

Spoon said...

Slow down? Seems like you're stuck in the mud at this point.

But, I've got a book you should read. It's called "Before the Eyes of the World: Mexico and the 1968 Olympics." By Kevin Witherspoon.

Some schmo, we can only assume.

Still, I hear it's pretty good.