Friday, June 20, 2008

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

I actually finished this book back on Monday the 16th and I've been trying to come up with something to say ever since. I mean, it's Alice in Wonderland. What can really be said. Well, it's pretty trippy, that's for sure. Alice had to be high, dreaming, or madder than either the Mad Hatter or the March Hare.

I will say that the edition I read was The Annotated Alice with notes by Martin Gardner. This definitely made for a better reading experience for an adult. Gardner points out many of the finer points and subtleties of Carroll's work. Particularly of interest are the mathematical games and wordplay that Carroll intersperses throughout the text. Given the addition of the notes to the text and that I'm a sucker for puns, Alice is still pretty good.

2 comments:

Spoon said...

So what's the update, my friend? Seems to me you're still a shade behind the pace to get through the whole list, despite impressive progress.

I've read bits and pieces of dozens of books this year, and many articles. But hate to say, finished only a few cover-to-cover.

If only for that, you are my hero.

LibrarianGuy said...

Glad to be somebody's hero. :)

Yeah, I'm a bit behind, but I don't have the willpower to not read "off list" books. But I'm trying to get back on track.

I'm headed out to Anaheim in a few days for the ALA conference. Unfortunately, my schedule is too packed to even have much, if any fun. I'll be glad when the 4th is here!