Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Reading List: A Work in Progress

Here are some definite and some likely candidates for inclusion on my "important" books reading list.

1. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
2. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
3. The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow
4. All The King's Men by Robert Penn Warren
5. Beloved by Toni Morrison
6. Deliverance by James Dickey
7. Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
8. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
9. The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain
10. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
11. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
12. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
13. Candide by Voltaire
14. Don Quixote by Cervantes
15. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
16. The Age of Jackson by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
17. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
18. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
19. Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
20. [placeholder, I made a duplication]
21. Black Lamb, Grey Falcon by Rebecca West

Possibilities:
The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers
12 Caesars by Suetonius
A Study of History by Arnold Toynbee
The Federalist Papers by Hamilton, et al.

Obviously, I need more to fill out the list, so I'm counting on you, the teeming handful of possible readers for suggestions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rebecca West.. even I haven't read her before.. you'll have to tell me how it is. Of course I recommend both Color Purple and Their Eyes Were Watching God, but even if you pick neither, my life will be fulfilled by you reading Beloved, my very favorite book.